Creative Element Power Tools is a collection of productivity tools for Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000.
Use this page to learn a little more about the software, and then download a free evaluation version for yourself.
(Screenshots from Windows Vista.)
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Creative Element Power Tools is a suite of tools and settings for Windows.
Some of the tools are stand-alone programs, some run invisibly in the background, while others appear merely as extensions to Windows.
Here's a summary of what's included in Creative Element Power Tools:
- Control Panel [screenshot] - a simple interface for all the tools in Creative Element Power Tools. Use it to turn on or off any tool, configure all the tools, and even change some Windows settings.
- Power Rename [screenshot] - Rename multiple files in one step using a variety a powerful shortcuts. Just right-click any file or group of files and select Power Rename...
- Change File Dates - Change the 'Created,' 'Modified,' and 'Accessed,' dates and times of one or more files. Just right-click any file or group of files and select Change Date...
- Copy or Move files anywhere [screenshot] - Right-click a file or folder and select Copy To or Move To to copy or move a file without having to navigate to the target folder in Explorer; create the target folder on the fly, if applicable.
- Comparator - Compare the contents of two text files, the contents of two folders, or two lists of any kind. Right-click two files or two folders to compare their contents, or more to compare lists of their names.
- Copy file and folder names to the Clipboard - Right-click one or more files or folders and select Copy Filename to copy their names and full paths to the Clipboard.
You can also optionally add JPEG EXIF data and MP3 tag data to your listings!
- Copy file contents to the Clipboard - Right-click a text or graphics file and select Copy File Contents to copy the file to the Clipboard without opening it.
- Show shortcut targets - Right-click a shortcut and select Show Target to open the folder containing the file or folder to which the shortcut is linked. Or, select Copy Target Location to copy the full path and filename of the target to the clipboard.
- Delete in-use files - Right-click any file and select Delete In-Use File to queue Windows to delete the file the next time you start your PC. This tool can be used to remove stubborn programs, such as spyware and viruses.
- Change file attributes - Right-click any file and select Attributes to turn on or off the 'Read Only,' 'Hidden,' 'System,' or 'Archive' bits without having to open the Properties window.
- Take ownership of files - Right-click any file or folder and select Take Ownership to make yourself the owner, allowing you to modify the item as you see fit.
- File Type Doctor - Right-click any file and select Edit File Type to modify the applications used to open files of that type. Use File Type Doctor to choose default programs, add or remove file types from Explorer's New menu, and customize files' context menus.
- Bulk Downloader [screenshot] - Download many files at once, without having to do it manually with a web browser. Just right-click one or more Internet Shortcuts and select Bulk Download.
- FTP Files on the Fly [screenshot] - Quickly send files and folders to any FTP-capable Internet server; great for quick updates to web sites. Just right-click any file or group of files and select FTP To.
- Copy Internet Shortcut information - Right-click an Internet Shortcut file and select Copy URL or Copy Hyperlink to copy the URL or HTML hyperlink to the Clipboard.
- Extract HTML page content - Right-click an HTML file and select Extract Page Content to copy the HTML-formatted page content to the Clipboard, minus the HTML headers and other extraneous codes.
- Find and Eliminate Duplicate Files - Search for duplicate files using a variety of criteria, and selectively remove unwanted duplicates. Special built-in filters help you find duplicate image files (jpg, gif, etc.) and compare them side-by-side.
- Search and replace Registry entries - Perform quick Registry searches, view the results in a convenient list, and optionally search-and-replace Registry keys and values.
- Fix the Windows Search Tool - Make searching for files easier and more convenient by having the search tool open in a new window rather than replacing the current view when you press Ctrl-F or F3 in Windows Explorer.
- Open a Command Prompt in any folder - Right-click a folder and select Command Prompt to open a Command Prompt window in that folder.
- Clear out the Temp folder - Recover wasted hard disk space by automatically deleting temporary files that are no longer being used.
- Copy folder listing to the Clipboard - Right-click a folder and select Copy Folder Listing to copy a list of the filenames of the items inside (with details) to the Clipboard.
- Print folder listing - Right-click a folder and select Print Folder Listing to print a list of the items inside (with details).
- Create folder shortcuts - Right-click a shortcut to a folder and select Create Folder Shortcut to convert the shortcut into a mirror of the folder. Right-click an existing folder shortcut and select Dismantle Folder Shortcut to remove it.
- Quickly select files - Right-click an empty spot and select 'Select' to automatically select files in the folder based on your criteria.
- Quickly create new folders - Press Ctrl-N in any open Explorer window, single-folder window, or on the desktop to create a new folder on the spot.
File Dialog Tools
- Show the full path in file dialog title bars - Display the full path of the current folder in any File -> Open or File -> Save dialog box.
- Quickly access recently-used folders - Add a special button to the upper-left corner of all File -> Open and File -> Save dialog boxes that provides access to a list of the most recently-used folders, plus any folders being viewed in Windows Explorer.
- Save file dialog size and view settings - Remember the size of all File -> Open and File -> Save dialog boxes, along with the view settings (e.g., Icon, List, Details) and sort order.
- Customize the Places Bar in file dialogs [screenshot] - Choose your own folders to appear in the gray bar that appears on the left side of most file dialogs.
- Disable Autoplay for CD, DVDs, and removable drives - Stop Windows from automatically scanning for and starting CDs, DVDs, flash memory, and other removable disks.
- Change the Windows setup defaults - Modify the registered user and other information gathered when Windows was installed and used during subsequent Windows installations.
- Change the size of the Alt-TAB window [screenshot] - Change the number of icons displayed on each row of the Alt-TAB window. You can press Alt-TAB to swtich between running applications, which is usually more convenient than using the taskbar.
- Control menu speed - Make menus more responsive by eliminating the delay before they're opened, or tame them by requiring a click to open them.
- Configure Hotkeys - Replace a complex series of keystrokes with a simple keyboard shortcut, useful for automating repetitive tasks.
In addition to the specific tools designed to improve productivity thoughout Windows, there are several features you'll find in all parts of Creative Element Power Tools.
All your settings are saved so you don't have to type them in every time.
All dialogs and windows remember their size and position, so you don't have to move and resize them every time you open them.
In short, every part of the package is designed with care to be as useful and efficient as possible, without the annoyances found in so many other products.
Version 3.0.6, released February 25, 2011.
Creative Element Power Tools contains no spyware, adware, or malware; never had it, never will!
Tip: See the Release Notes for a list of what's new in this version.
Users of older versions: Install this version right over any older version of Creative Element Power Tools.
Your settings will be preserved, and if you're a registered user, this (and all subsequent) upgrades are free.
Note: This is an online installer, which means it downloads only those files your PC needs to run the software.
If you need to install Creative Element Power Tools on a PC without an Internet connection, you can use our offline installer (~4.6 MB).
We recommend that most users get the network installer, above, for the fastest and tidiest install.
If you encounter a problem: If you get an error while trying to download or install Creative Element Power Tools, please read this note.
If you encounter any problems once the software has been installed, refer to the Troubleshooting section in the Help document included with the software and check out the page of Frequently Asked Questions.
If you wish to use Creative Element Power Tools after the initial 45-day evaluation period, you'll need to register the software or it will expire.
Registration costs only US$18.00, and not only gets you unlimited use of the software on your PC, free upgrades forever, and technical support, but it helps promote future development of the product.
Here's how to register this software:
Note: If you do not see the Get Code button, then you're not using the latest version of Creative Element Power Tools.
If you're using an older version or you want to enter your information manually, you can do on this page.
- Install Creative Element Power Tools on your computer.
- Open the Creative Element Power Tools Control Panel.
- Click About.
- Choose the Register tab.
- Click Get Code.
If you encounter any problems registering our software, or if you have questions, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Note: If you are a registered user of any previous version of Creative Element Power Tools, the upgrade to this -- and all future versions -- is free.
If you are upgrading from an earlier release, just download the appropriate file above, and install right over your existing version (your settings will be preserved).
This document and all components of Creative Element Power Tools are copyright ©1998-2012 Creative Elementtm. All rights reserved.